Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Marathon Schedule

so, I have been maintaining my mileage over the last few months. as you know from my previous post, it has been difficult to run as much as i would like because of cold, darkness, and grad school apps.

this week, some of this is about to change. grad school apps will be in by Monday, and i have worked out my marathon training schedule that is conducive to limited light hours. While most marathon training schedules are 16 weeks long, i only have 13 until the Nashville Country Music Marathon on April 24. While most marathon training schedules only take you up to 20 miles, that really irritates me, so I am taking mine up to 22. While most marathon training schedules have only one cross training day, I had to make room for 2 - Tuesday/Thursday spin class.

drum roll please for the big reveal................

da-da-daaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Week

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

1/25-1/31

sick

spin

3 miles

spin

3

6

10

2/1-2/7

3

spin

rest

spin

3

6

12

2/8-2/14

3

spin

rest

spin

4

6

8

2/15-2/21

3

spin

rest

spin

4

6

14

2/22- 2/28

4

spin

rest

spin

4

7

16

3/1- 3/7

4

spin

rest

spin

5

7

10

3/8- 3/14

4

spin

rest

spin

5

7

18

3/15-3/21

4

spin

rest

spin

6

rest/weights

20

3/22-3/28

4

spin

rest

spin

6

8

10

3/29- 4/4

5

spin

rest

spin

6

rest

22

4/5-4/11

5

spin

rest

spin

6

8

12

4/12- 4/18

3

spin

rest

spin

3

6

8

4/19- 4/24

rest

spin

rest

spin

rest

26.2- MARATHON



so this is my schedule for the next 13 weeks. i am sure they will fly by.

things to note in this schedule:
1. typically, people rest the day before the big runs in their week. my work/life schedule just doesn't fit that. therefore, i have some semi long runs before a few big runs. the days before my 20 and 22 milers, i am taking off to rest my legs.
2. i have lots of rest time the week of the marathon. i am only going to spin class that week, and i am going to take it easy.
3. the week before the marathon is a light week in mileage. two 3 miles runs and an 8 mile. not so bad considering the week before is 22.
4. some of my days with lighter runs (see 3/4/5 miles) that will be done at the gym (mostly the Monday/Friday runs) will also have some weights done at the end. I will probably alternate between leg workouts and upper body workouts.
5. wednesday is my current "rest" day, but friday can be switched with Wednesday if something like a trip to raifords or a trip to nashville is in the cards.

i am very excited about this marathon for three reasons:
1. my friend lauren is running with me (but she will probably run faster than i will. but at least she will be there with me)
2. my handsome and health conscious boyfriend lives in Nashville. killing two birds with this one.
3. i will knock something off my new years resolution list and then be on my way toward my ultimate goal, the ULTRA marathon.

one of my other goals for the next 13 weeks is to log what i actually do of this race training. i am sure that some things will flip-flop. i will get sick or need a vacation. or go on vacation (excitement!). anyway- look for that at the end of all this mess.

next thing on my marathon to-do list: research race nutrition and work on a meal plan for the next few months.

ultra love

No comments:

Post a Comment