Monday, November 2, 2009

im sizzling

this past weekend, i got to see two really awesome things.
1. My handsome and health conscious boyfriend playing at the GRAND OLE OPRY
2. "This Is It" the Michael Jackson movie/documentary---- prompting my halloween costume....
The Grand Ole Opry is really quite an experience. Even though Keith Urban and Davil Nail were there reppin "new" country music, most of the others were more old school. The songs were so strikingly different than the current county you hear on the radio now. When I took my class on the blues back in school, I learned that modern country music has its roots in the blues. What are the blues about, kiddies? Yep, you got it. The Blues.

The blues are emotion and heartache and hard times. They rip your soul out, do something incredible to it, and the put it back in you. Country music has its roots in the blues and should have been sucking up good juices from the blues. BUT NOOOOOOO... current country music is about beer and tractors. How do you go from the mysterious and moving melodies of Robert Johnson to beer and tractors? Where is the emotion? Where is the little bit of you in the music? I refuse to believe that we as a people are limited to "Small Town USA" and "I like my Big Green Tractor" and "Beer on the Table."

Granted, the inspiration to my musings came from the mouth and mind of my handsome and health conscious boyfriend. I am sure that he thinks about this much better than i do/can, but the more we talk about it the more it bothers me.

I love to hear music that moves me. EX: Michael Jackson. He may have been nutty as squirrel poo, but he was a genius. He was music. He knew his songs in and out because he either wrote every single bit of it (think words, music, drums, bass, guitar etc, you get it) or was super hands on in the producing. He knew his music left and right, backwards and forwards, in and out. And he felt it. And when you see the movie, you will feel it. And it will sizzle and simmer. And it wont suck like songs about beer and tractors and small towns.

So people of the world, demand more of your music. The Robert Johnsons, the Michael Jacksons, and the Elvis Presleys don't come around that often, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to music that lacks depth, emotion, and thought beyond how much money it can make.

Ultra love.

No comments:

Post a Comment